Regional Map:

Spoiler:

Flag:

Spoiler:

Coat of Arms:

Spoiler:

Factbook

Official Name: Californian Republic

Denonym: Californian (also "Californio")

Capital: Monterey

Government: Federal presidential republic

Head of state and government: President Andrew Colindale

Official Language(s): English and Spanish

Climate: Mediterranean along the western coasts and desert inland

National Statistics

Population: 54,057,348

Area: 118,977 mi2 (308,151 km2)

Population density: 182.72 per mi2 (78.07 per km2)

Ethnic Composition:

• 74.2% White
  • 15.1% Asian
  • 4.7% Mixed
  • 2.4% Native American
  • 3.6% Other

Religious Composition:

• 36% Roman Catholic
  • 31% Irreligious
  • 29% Protestant (including Mormon)
  • 2.8% Jewish
  • 1.2% Other

GDPpc (ppp): 53,768 USD

• GDPpc (nominal): 55,262 USD

GDP (ppp): 2.907 trillion USD

• GDP (nominal): 2.987 trillion USD

HDI: .918

Economic Information

Currency: Californian Dollar

Primary Trading Partners: United States, Texas, Mexico, Canada, Japan, Korea, China

Primary industries: Consumer services, electronics, financial services, agricultural production and processing, automobiles, raw metal extraction and refining

Social Issues: The Californian Republic is currently one of the wealthiest and most culturally significant nations in the world. However, under the thin gold coating is a society with a failing welfare state that has failed to address the rising disparity between the rich and the poor. Politicians have proven weak and ineffective at dealing with social issues in the country and instead are seen as pawns of the wealthiest Californians. This means the most prominent issue in the Republic is sharing the country's prosperity with its less fortunate citizens.

A secondary issue is the increasing rate of refugees entering the country from the Middle East and Latin America. While the Californian Republic has proven to be helpful to those seeking refuge from the world's poorest and most dangerous countries, it has been radicalizing right-leaning citizens in the country especially with several terrorist attacks and sensationalized crimes committed by some of the admitted peoples. Despite these events being insignificant in number, recent years have seen the liberal establishment slowly giving way to right wing parties and movements seeking to address these issues.

Another underlying issue is the scarcity of water in California. Reforms in recent decades has made water more widely available but the situation continues to be a major concern among the population. More effort to alleviate the crisis needs to be made.

History

California was initially primarily inhabited by various indigenous groups, including the Pueblo and Navajo in the east, and various smaller tribes in the west, before European colonization.

Spanish colonization of California began with the development of the California Catholic missions. Missions from the southern tip of the Baja California peninsula all the way to modern day Sonomo, California served as the centers of colonial activity in early California. They served to convert the native population but soon became the basis for many settlements.

In the late 1700s, many colonists from Spain and the existing population of New Spain began to move into the territory of modern day California. After the United States gained independence, small amounts of Anglo Americans also began to migrate and settle in California. The independence of Mexico in 1821 prompted the end of Spanish rule in California, and the territory became the northwestern extent of the Mexican state. In 1833, the California missions were secularized in an attempt to curb the Church’s influence in the region. This meant that Californian missions were no longer significant and ceased to influence the policies of the territory.

The centralization efforts during Antonio Lopéz de Santa Anna saw major backlash in many parts of Mexico, but most significantly in Texas and California, both of which had large populations of Anglo Americans that arrived after Spanish and Mexican struggled to populate the northern territories and offered land to American expatriates. These Anglo Americans had many prominent figured in Texas and California and sought to declare independence from Mexico. After news of the Texan rebellion starting in October 1835 reached California, Anglo and Hispanic Californios discontent about Santa Anna’s rule agreed to declare their own state independent in late October 1835. With the help of José Castro, military commander of Mexico’s military in Alta California, and Juan Bautista Alvarado, the governor of Alta California, Nicolás Gutiérrez, was overthrown and a provisional government of an Anglo majority was declared in Monterey, the capital of Alta California. While Santa Anna focused his efforts in Texas, the acting President of California, Alexander Redding, secured an alliance with the Texan rebels. Both the governors of Sonora and Baja California accepted to join the Alta Californin rebels due to their own concerns over Santa Anna’s rule. California’s rebellion against Texas was largely uneventful since most of Mexico’s efforts were concentrated on Texas. However, an expedition sent by Santa Anna to try and put down the provisional government in Monterey was defeated just east of San Diego due to the tactical and strategic advantage of the Californian rebel army led by Castro. When Santa Anna was captured by Texan soldiers in April 1836, the Texans invited a Californian delegation to negotiate terms of peace with Santa Anna. The end result was the withdrawal of Mexican soldiers from the lands north of the Rio Grande River and west of the Bavispe/Yaqui river and the official recognition of independence of both states by Mexico. Santa Anna’s acceptance of the peace treaty is accepted to be a result of his fear for his life and reluctance to continue fighting against either state.

The initial years of Californian independence were dominated by the debates regarding the path of the country. The sparce population meant that California’s military was small and its navy virtually nonexistent. Most of the population growth was the result of trinkle amounts of migrants from Mexico and the United States. The weakness of the country meant that petitioning for the annexation of California into the United States was a hot topic. However, the debate was never settled in the initial years, and it was accepted that California would maintain its independence. The debate was virtually won by the pro-independence movement once gold was struck in the Central Valley in 1848. The news prompted the Californian Gold Rush, and a large wave of immigration from the US and Europe led to a sudden exponential increase in population. The largest group of migrants were Irish escaping the famine conditions in their homeland, encouraged by the Ranchero Act of 1842 as well as California’s acceptance of the Catholic faith. By 1860, California’s population was self sustaining and its military capabilities became sufficient to ward off border skirmishes committed by Mexican filibusterers.

When it became clear that the gold rush was mostly a false russ, immigrants began to migrate into the cities of California, especially San Francisco and Los Angeles, where there were considerable amounts of industrialization. California soon became the industrial powerhouse of the Pacific Rim, which helped continue to attract immigrants. By 1900, California’s population was nearly 5 million. The growing centers of population and the discovery of deposits of various minerals and metals resulted in increased investments from the United States and the United Kingdom. Wealth carried along by immigrants also meant that a free entrepreneurial spirit was fostered in California. By 1910, California was regarded as a regional industrial power and became one of the wealthier nations in the world on a per capita basis.

The industrial output of California was boosted even more as the country took advantage of the demand of military and agricultural goods of the Allied Powers in World War I. The “Roaring Twenties” in the United States was shared by California as wealth in California increased even further. Los Angeles became a cultural center both in California and the world, especially as the climate was ideal for the production of moving pictures and as a base for many cultural icons. The years of prosperity, however, were hard hit as the Great Depression struck the country. Initial government efforts were unsuccessful at alleviating the economic downturn. The election of left-leaning John Steinbeck, however, led to a series of reforms and government projects seeking to reinhect wealth into the population of California. The most significant project was the widescale construction of a highway system inspired by the German Autobahn.

Steinbeck’s attempts, however, weren’t enough to completely bring California out of the Great Depression. That title goes to World War II. California sought the same role it had in WWI until the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor prompted American interests to subsidize the production of naval vessels in California in order to help in the Pacific theatre. California experienced the same economic boost in the post war era. A population boom occurred as Americans and Europeans alike moved to California to seek a new life for themselves.

The Cold War era in California was mostly uneventful. Officially, California sided with the USA against the Soviet Union and allowed for the US to maintain a military presence in the country. This allowed California to limit defense spending, which prompted the creation of various social welfare programs that helped improve the standard of living in California. In the 1990s with the fall of the Soviet Union, many migrants from the former country found their way to California to experience the North American lifestyle and the California weather.

California’s population boom, however, created a huge strain on California’s natural resources, especially water. The Colorado River, California’s primary source of fresh water, was increasingly unable to fully sustain California. On top of that, water waste continued to be dumped into the Pacific, resulting in an inefficient use of water. Efforts in the late 1990s and early 2000s resulted in major reforms passed with regards to the use of water. Collection of rainwater and the recycling of used water was coupled with government sponsored incentives in water desalinization in an effort to alleviate the country’s water crisis. The attempts were successful, but occasional droughts put a strain even on the new system. Deals with Texas and the United States ensured an emergency supply of water for the country, but the election of Donald Trump makes the situation precarious.

Today, California enjoys membership in the Transpacific Partnership, the United Nations, NAFTA, the OECD, and is regarded as a country triumphant in the protection of human and economic rights. However, the increasingly oligarchic nature of California’s political system continues to be a major social problem.

Last edited by stanisolt on Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:30 pm; edited 5 times in total
Admin
View user profilehttp://ifcp.forumotion.com

Re: Passed | Application | Californian Republic

on Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:26 am
Very good so far. Wink When you say your capital is Monterey, I presume it's Monterey, California and not a fictional Monterey or the Monterrey in Nuevo Leon which falls outside of your borders. If so, I'm curious why you chose there because afaik it's a small place and doesn't have many features..? There is no rule against a small capital city but it certainly is out of the norm. Razz

I think that you should account for a sizable Hispanic population as well in your demographic information. I don't know if the "white" population listed includes white Hispanics but even then there are many non-white Hispanics and I hope you're not trying to keep them out with a Trump wall. Razz

I really like the description of the issues and the perception of an oligarchy in the country similar to the United States. I think the refugees and immigrants entering California would overwhelmingly be from Central America and less so from the Middle East and that would certainly be a hot topic in California in the way that the Central American "caravan" is in the U.S. right now. Some other issues California faces could be the way that droughts, wildfires, etc. affect society as well as gun violence and police brutality like in the U.S. Droughts and water shortages might be especially problematic for an independent California since it wouldn't have the economic assistance from Washington that the real-life California has.

I look forward to reading the history section. Very Happy
View user profile

on Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:31 am
hammerandcrescent wrote:Very good so far. Wink When you say your capital is Monterey, I presume it's Monterey, California and not a fictional Monterey or the Monterrey in Nuevo Leon which falls outside of your borders. If so, I'm curious why you chose there because afaik it's a small place and doesn't have many features..? There is no rule against a small capital city but it certainly is out of the norm. Razz

I think that you should account for a sizable Hispanic population as well in your demographic information. I don't know if the "white" population listed includes white Hispanics but even then there are many non-white Hispanics and I hope you're not trying to keep them out with a Trump wall. Razz

I really like the description of the issues and the perception of an oligarchy in the country similar to the United States. I think the refugees and immigrants entering California would overwhelmingly be from Central America and less so from the Middle East and that would certainly be a hot topic in California in the way that the Central American "caravan" is in the U.S. right now. Some other issues California faces could be the way that droughts, wildfires, etc. affect society as well as gun violence and police brutality like in the U.S. Droughts and water shortages might be especially problematic for an independent California since it wouldn't have the economic assistance from Washington that the real-life California has.

I look forward to reading the history section. Very Happy

Monterey is the historical capital of Alta California and was the capital of both Alta and Baja California when they were regarded as one territory. IRL it's a small town, but in this fictional country Monterey is more populous and is much more suitable to be a capital than it is in reality Wink

Yes, Hispanic falls under "white" in the demographics, as much as 1/3 of California's population is Hispanic Razz Your other concerns are also valid that, though I have already thought of, haven't included among the social issues I addressed. Water management is a huge issue but I imagined that the Californian Republic receives a lot of its water from the US and Texas, perhaps more within the realm of possibility given that both the USA and California would be enjoying close economic relationships and so it's definitely reasonable to imagine that California will be paying for the USA to export water to the country
Admin

on Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:40 am
There are non-white Hispanics too though, don't forget about them. Wink

Thanks for explaining Monterey. Razz

The thing with California's water is that the rl state receives more from the U.S. federal government than it gives, and that assistance might not exist with an independent California. Especially with Trump's nationalist populism gaining strength, the U.S. would likely be very reluctant to provide any such assistance to another country. California might have a severe economic deficit and heavy debt.
View user profile

on Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:44 am
hammerandcrescent wrote:There are non-white Hispanics too though, don't forget about them. Wink

Thanks for explaining Monterey. Razz

The thing with California's water is that the rl state receives more from the U.S. federal government than it gives, and that assistance might not exist with an independent California. Especially with Trump's nationalist populism gaining strength, the U.S. would likely be very reluctant to provide any such assistance to another country. California might have a severe economic deficit and heavy debt.

Fair point I haven't considered! I'm going to look into possible solutions to this problem and will include it in my history once I finish. If not, I will include it as a major social issue Very Happy
Admin

on Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:59 am
California has received a majority of Yes votes on Discord and thus passed the voting process.

The Californian Republic is now a member state of the IFCP.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum